Woolworths Visa Credit Card terms and conditions
Woolworths Financial Services (Pty) Ltd, is an authorized financial services provider.
Please read these terms and conditions fully. They constitute an agreement between you and Mercantile Bank Limited, which is the Bank which issues the Woolworths Visa Credit Card. The five points below summarise the most important aspects of this agreement:
YOUR MAIN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The security of your Woolworths Visa Credit Card and PIN (Personal Identification Number) is your responsibility - sign your Card, keep it safe and keep your PIN secret.
- You will be able to use your Woolworths Visa Credit Card to purchase a wide range of goods and services, to get Cash Advances and to make deposits, but no-one else may use your Card.
- Take care not to exceed the credit limit set for you by the Bank and settle at least the minimum monthly payment due.
- The Bank charges interest on amounts outstanding/owing, and is allowed to debit that interest to your account with necessary service charges.
- You must carefully check your monthly statement and notify the Bank of any queries within 60 days.
- “Bank” means Mercantile Bank Limited.
- “Card” means the Woolworths Visa Credit Card issued by the Bank to you.
- “Merchant” means a seller of goods or services.
- “Purchase” means any Purchase of goods or services using your Card, whether the Purchase is made telephonically, mechanically, electronically or otherwise.
WHO OWNS YOUR CARD?
The Bank remains the owner of the Card at all times and you must return it should the Bank request so.
HOW TO USE YOUR CARD
Only you may use your Card: use it to shop, get Cash Advances and make deposits. You may also use automatic teller machines (ATM's) which accept the Card for the same types of transactions and for electronic funds transfers.
- When you use the Card to buy goods and/or services, you must sign a sales voucher (ie. a transaction slip) if you are physically present at the Merchant's location.
- You authorise the Bank to make payments to Merchants on your behalf.
- A Merchant is not the Bank's agent and the Bank is not responsible if your Card is refused for whatever reason.
- When using the Card to get a Cash Advance other than from an ATM, you must sign a cash withdrawal voucher.
- By signing a sales or cash withdrawal voucher, you are confirming that the information contained in it is correct. Not signing vouchers does not release you from your responsibility to pay (eg. internet purchases, telephonic transactions and ATM cash withdrawals).
- If you use your Card outside the Common Monetary Area, you must comply with exchange control regulations.
MONTHLY STATEMENTS AND PAYMENTS
- You will receive monthly statements from the Bank reflecting transactions on your Card account for the period up to and including the date of the statement. You must ensure that at least the stipulated minimum payment due is made to the Bank by the due date indicated on your statement.
- If you do not receive a statement, it is still your responsibility to contact the Bank to verify the minimum payment that you are required to make.
INTEREST AND OTHER CHARGES
You pay interest on money owing to us.
- Interest is charged if you fail to pay the outstanding amount in full on the due date shown on your statement. The interest will be charged from the date of the transaction.
- You will also be charged interest on any Cash Advances received by you from the date on which the Cash Advance is made until the amount owing is paid.
- Interest will accrue and be calculated on a daily basis, and will be compounded monthly.
The Bank is entitled to debit your Card account with any amounts owing by you in respect of:
- service fees
- charges (such as an Annual Card Fee)
- penalties, including (but not limited to) penalties in respect of rejected cheques marked “Refer to Drawer”, as well as rejected debit orders, and penalty interest in respect of your account if operated over your credit limit
- taxes and duties payable to the Government.
The amount of such charges, fees and/or interest will be determined by the Bank and you will be advised from time to time.
CLOSURE OF ACCOUNT AND TERMINATION
- The Bank may, within its discretion, terminate this agreement and your right to use this Card.
- You may terminate this agreement by sending the Bank a written request, signed by you, stating that you wish to close your account. The request must be accompanied with your Card, which must be cut into pieces so as to prevent further use. Should you fail to cut up your Card, you will be liable for any unauthorised use thereof.
- When this agreement is terminated your full indebtedness (ie. outstanding debt/balance owed) to us will immediately become due and payable and you will be required to return your Card to us.
- You agree to the jurisdiction of the Magistrate's Court in respect of any action arising out of these terms and conditions, even if the amount claimed exceeds the jurisdiction of the Magistrate's Court. The Bank may choose to bring any proceedings in the High Court.
- The Bank may make whatever enquiries are considered necessary to verify the information in your Card application. The Bank and its affiliates or subsidiaries may provide any information relating to your Card and account to any credit bureau, including your compliance or otherwise with the terms and conditions in this document.
- You authorise the Bank to disclose any information regarding your personal details and your Card account to any third party in order to enable that third party to administer your Card account and/or to collect any amounts owing by you in connection with your Card.
- You authorise the Bank and/or Woolworths (Pty) Ltd or any of its subsidiary companies to make whatever enquiries are considered necessary to establish your past payment records and/or to establish whether any judgements have ever been taken against you from any third party, including any credit bureau.
- The Bank will endeavour to ensure that all information and data processed by it is correct, but will not be liable for any damage suffered by you as a result of the processing of any incorrect information or any unauthorised access to data, or as a result of any inquiries made by the Bank, or as a result of any information provided by the Bank in respect of your Card account.
- You may not vary these terms and conditions.
- South African law will govern the provisions of this agreement.
- The Cardholder agrees by accepting the terms and conditions of use for the Card to be a party to the world of difference programme.
- The rights and obligations of the Cardholder are stipulated in the terms and conditions of the world of difference programme. The terms and conditions will be posted to the Cardholder.
- The world of difference programme may be terminated at the sole discretion of Woolworths (Pty) Ltd and/or any of its subsidiary companies at any time.
- The Cardholder gives permission to Woolworths (Pty) Ltd or any of its subsidiaries to divulge information regarding the purchases made by the Cardholder, to Woolworths (Pty) Ltd or any of its subsidiaries for the purposes of the world of difference programme.
- The cardholder's account needs to be in good standing in order to qualify for the benefits offered in the world of difference programme.
- All advertised competitions are subject to competition rules available on www.woolworths.co.za or in hard copy from Woolworths head office.
CARD BALANCE PROTECTION
- In the event of the Cardholder choosing Card Balance Protection the Cardholder confirms and understands that the benefits offered and monthly premium payable are subject to the terms and conditions set out in the Master Policy Contract issued by the underwriter.
- The Cardholder confirms and understands that he/she is entitled to have certain insurance details disclosed to him/her and that he/she has read and understood such details which appear in the brochure to which this application is annexed.
- The Cardholder further confirms that the declaration of good health made by the Cardholder is true and correct.
- Territorial limitations - an Assured shall be entitled to cover provided he/she is permanently resident in the Republic of South Africa. Should an Assured be absent from the Republic of South Africa for more than 12 consecutive months, the cover will be forfeited.
SUMMARY OF COVER
Woolworths (Proprietary) Limited
1 Mostert Street
PO Box 5553
Tel: 0861 50 2005
Fax: 021 407 9679
Metropolitan Life Limited
Parc du Cap
PO Box 2212
Tel: 021 940 5911
Fax: 021 940 5805
COMPLAINTS CAN BE ADDRESSED TO
The Complaints Resolution Committee
Tel: 021 940 4682
Fax: 021 940 4934
Woolworths Visa Credit Card Scheme
Settlement of the total outstanding balance on the death of the Cardholder
Monthly Premium R10.75 (including VAT)
Administration Fee R1.00
Woolworths will deduct the premium due from the Cardholder's account. A claim may be rejected if Woolworths is unable to collect the premium due from the Cardholder's account due to default of the Cardholder. Premiums may change from time to time; policyholders will be informed of these changes.
Claims may be submitted to any Woolworths store.
CANCELLATION OF POLICY
Should the Cardholder wish to cancel the policy within 30 days of inception, Woolworths will refund the premium.
SUSPENSION OF BENEFITS
Should your account be in arrears by 60 days or more, the policy will be suspended and benefits lapse.
Disputes may be lodged at any Woolworths store or through the Woolworths Customer Service Call Centre.
|Monthly Service Fee
|Special Card Delivery Fee
|Replacement Card Fee
ATM Fee - Local
|ATM Fee - International
|Card Balance Protection (pre June 2007)
|Card Balance Protection NCA accounts (post June 2007)
R5.25/R1000 outstanding Comprehensive R5.50/R1000 outstanding
Basic R5.25/R1000 outstanding Comprehensive R5.50/R1000 outstanding
60 days in
arrears - R50
60 days in
arrears - R50